The Welcome Matt <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 18, 2009

Farewell, Longfellow Park Chapel 

I just learned that the LDS chapel in Cambridge, where I attended for the year and a half immediately before I got married, burned down yesterday due to an electrical fire during Stake Conference.


This news has saddened me more than you'd think I would be saddened by the news of a building fire. It's just that this particular building has more emotional connections to me than most. I could mention the fact that my first trip there was as a missionary, waiting for my visa to get to Brazil, where I dropped off my first companion and picked up my second. Or the countless fun ward activities like the Halloween dances or the date night where the ward activities committee set everyone up with someone they thought was right for them. I could mention the late-night BYU football games, including the attempt Shelly and I made at keeping the chapel from being looted by a hoodlum at 2am. I could mention two of the most spiritual baptismal services in my life, one of a guy in the singles ward who had been going to church for years and finally realized that he was going to be able to keep the very serious commitments baptism entailed - a baptism that was so crowded it packed the chapel and I didn't even bother trying to watch the actual ordinance - and the other of a single mom in our family ward who expressed the most touching testimony (my parents were there for this service, and they remarked how this kind of convert spirit is rarely felt in Utah). I could mention the architectural features like the gorgeous rose window behind the podium or the chapel balcony where you sat if you were late. I could mention so many things. But as I consider all of the wonderful things that happened to me in that building, clearly the most wonderful were the sessions I had in the bishop's office on the second floor, talking with Bishop Hoffmire about the fact that I was ready to propose to this wonderful girl Shelly Camacho, and then later, sitting with Shelly in his office as he took the time to give us several pre-marital counseling sessions, preparing us for the exhilirating life together we would share. The Longfellow Park chapel is where I had many of the spiritual experiences that directly led up to my marriage. It's sacred ground to me. I mourn the loss of that building.


Comments:
I've attended church in the Longfellow Park Chapel numerous times over the years as a traveller to the Boston/Cambridge area.

The news saddens me deeply as well. Your eulogy of it is much like the one I'd write about "my" Chevy Chase chapel on Connecticut Ave. in MD.

Farewell to a beautiful, sacred building.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?