The Welcome Matt <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Justice For Me 

There was a little blurb in the Washington Post today suggesting that if President Bush really wants to replace Justice Sandra Day O'Connor with a woman, one worthy candidate might be Harvard Law professor Mary Ann Glendon.

Of course, this is just some newspaper blurb, not an authoritative source, and Prof. Glendon's chances are a really long shot. But let me state publicly that I think she would be the coolest Supreme Court justice ever.

And I'm not just saying that because she taught me first year property, hired me as a research assistant for no real other reason than the fact that I read a book she wrote and emailed her about it, has treated me to a couple of meals, brought me a small but sincere gift from a visit to Italy, wrote me letters of recommendation, served as the advisor to one of my favorite student organizations, was the only HLS professor who actually took a legal position against same-sex marriage, brags about her honorary doctorate from BYU, is one of the smartest and one of the nicest people I know, and is probably the only person in the world who's on a first name basis with both me and the Pope.

But in the world of realistic possibilities, I'm rooting for 10th Circuit Judge Michael McConnell. He only taught me a one-month Creation of the Constitution class, and my only personal interaction with him was one evening at dinner (with Mary Ann Glendon). So he's not quite as cool as Glendon, but he's still pretty cool.

But I've never even laid eyes on Alberto Gonzales. Why should I want him on the Court?


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?