The Welcome Matt <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Name: We're Getting Close 

With the baby set to arrive on Thursday December 31, we still haven't decided on a name. You'd think that with all the thought we allegedly put into this process, we'd have come up with a winner by now. But we haven't.

However, there is news to report. Mary is officially off the list. We're down to a face-off between Leah and Kate. Surprisingly, it was me who voted Mary down. I had been pushing it from day one as a lovely name that has a lot of classic appeal, but I think in the end Mary was a victim of this very open naming process. We've been telling people what we're thinking, and asking for feedback, and frankly, Mary hasn't done too well in the public opinion we've heard. It's not that anyone says they hate the name, but it just has seemed a bit lackluster. Maybe people are still sick of it from the time a hundred years ago when like three percent of all girl babies were named Mary. I stand by my opinion that Mary is one of the greatest names out there. But I'm not going to give it to my daughter.

Our daughter will be either Leah or Kate. I still think Leah is the frontrunner, but I admitted to Shelly the other day that when I visualize the future and talking to my third daughter, her name is generally Kate. Mabe that's Ellie's influence. Surely Ellie has had some influence in my ever-growing esteem of the name Kate.

At this point, I think I could go either way and be happy. I think Shelly feels the same way - her stated preference for Leah, she has told me, is a mere slight preference, not a deal-breaker attachment. Stay tuned - the next name post might just have to end up taking the form of a birth announcement!


Comments:
The baby's coming soon? Already here? Good luck, and/or congratulations!

I'm remembering Christmas Eve of 1989, hanging out with you and our friends at John Patrick's house. Waiting for a new baby is better!
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?