The Welcome Matt <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

The Streak Lives On 

Shelly and I started dating in early 2003. Every March since then we have each filled out an NCAA Tournament bracket. Every March since then Shelly has done better than me. Eight years and counting, and I can't beat my wife in March Madness.

This was the second year in a row it came down to a single game. If West Virginia had beaten Duke in the Final Four, I would have won. As it turned out, Shelly beat me by a mere 20 points - that's just two first-round games. I shouldn't have gotten caught up in BYU's best year in forever and picked them to win more than one game. I know better than that.

Shelly's strategy every year is to pick the winners according to seeding, and this year she was even more strict than usual. If I recall correctly, she picked only 3 upsets (defined as a worse seed beating a better seed) in the entire tournament, and they were all close ones - she picked a 3 over a 2 or something like that. She didn't pick a single upset in the entire first round. Her Final Four was the four 1-seeds.

Me, I just went with my gut. I wonder if next year I should do it her way, but just put one 2-seed into the Final Four and hope for the best...


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?